using two graphs to draw a third.

  1. #1

    using two graphs to draw a third.

    I have two graphs in excel. One graph has the values (1,3), (3,5), (5, 9), (7, 13) etc. The second graph has the values (2,3), (4,7), (6, 11), (8, 19) etc. I would like to draw a third graph using the two graphs like (1, y1/y2), (2, y1/y2), (3, y1/y2), (4, y1/y2) etc. Here y1 is the value from graph 1 and y2 the corresponding value from graph 2. Now, I am doing using a long method. First find the equation for graph 1 and then find the y values for x=1,2,3 etc. The technique is repeated for graph 2. Then I divide the values and plot the graph. It is tedious. Is there a faster way?

  2. #2

    two graphs

    Anyone can help?

  3. #3

    two graphs

    anyone can offer any help?

  4. #4

    two graphs

    Anyone out there can help?

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: using two graphs to draw a third.

    You feel like explaining what you want?

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Three graphs

    Graph 1.(measurement)
    (1,3), (3,5), (5, 9), (7, 13)

    Graph 2.(measurement)
    (2,3), (4,7), (6, 11), (8, 19)

    Graph 3.(calculation)
    (1, y1/y2), (2, y1/y2), (3, y1/y2), (4, y1/y2)

    where y1 and y2 is obtained by first drawing a trendline, finding it's equation and then substituting the x value to find the corresponding y value. The two y values corresponding to a particular x is then found. The ratio of the two y values is then calculated. Finally a third graph is drawn.

    The whole process is tedious. Is there a simpler way?

  7. #7
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: using two graphs to draw a third.

    You can find routines in the archives or on the internet to calculate
    piecewise interpolated values. Use these to calculate the Y1 values and Y2
    values, then compute your ratios. Once you set up one worksheet with the
    formulas, you can reuse it for additional data sets.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

    "labview1958" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8

    two graphs

    Each set of two graphs is different from the next set. So I have new equations all the time. Is there a better way?

  9. #9
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: using two graphs to draw a third.

    Is the data laid out the same? If so, you can just paste the new values over
    the old in the template I've described, and the parameters will be
    recomputed. If not, can you make it similar, to minimize manual rework?

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions