Dynamic Arrays

  1. #1

    Dynamic Arrays

    Is there a way to set array bounds dynamically for functions such as INDEX, VLOOKUP, etc?

    I need to look up data within a specified timeframe.
    The data is time-ordered stock market information.
    The question I need to answer is:
    "when did the XYZ stock's value first exceed $20 after Jan-1-2005"
    I can use the INDEX and MATCH functions to find the first time the stock exceeds $20, but I can't find a way to have the search start at a row for a given date.
    The data would be a series of rows of the form:

    date value p/e ...

    Regards,
    Chaz

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Arrays

    try this where e is the dates and f is the quote and h1 has the date desired
    This is an array formula so it needs to be entered with ctrl+shift+enter

    =MAX(IF(E2:E22>H1,F2:F22))
    to find the max
    =MATCH(MAX(IF(E3:E23>H2,F3:F23)),F:F,0)
    to find the row