Using F2 - How do you do 3,000 entries all at once?

  1. #1
    AndreaW
    Guest

    Using F2 - How do you do 3,000 entries all at once?

    I have discovered I need to change cell formatting from Text to General in
    order to get my VLOOKUP to work properly. The problem is is that I would
    prefer to do this all at once as my column contains well over 3,000 entries.
    Imagine pressing F2, Enter, F2, Enter, F2, Enter into each individual cell (I
    can't keep the beat going!) Is there a better way to perfom this task in one
    step?

  2. #2
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Using F2 - How do you do 3,000 entries all at once?

    First off, format your range to "General" or "Number"
    Enter a 1 into any blank cell.
    Copy that cell.
    Select your range of data to convert.
    Paste Special, and select "Multiply"
    Click OK
    Delete the 1 that you entered originally.

    By multiplying all data by 1, you've changed each value that Excel can
    recognize as a number into a number without changing the value.

    HTH,
    Elkar

  3. #3
    Forum Expert mrice's Avatar
    Surrey, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013
    Posts
    4,967

    Response

    Try this..

    Select one of the cells, start a macro recording and convert from test to general. Stop the macro recording.

    Then select all your cells and run the macro.
    Martin

  4. #4
    AndreaW
    Guest

    RE: Using F2 - How do you do 3,000 entries all at once?

    You're brilliant Elkar ... thank you!!!!

  5. #5
    Seattle, WA
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365 ProPlus

    Re: Using F2 - How do you do 3,000 entries all at once?

    I know this is a thread from... goodness, 13 years ago but I ran into a similar problem. Excel wasn't recognizing a date as a date format after some formulas.

    Solution:

    You can select the cells you need to format, then use Text to Columns in the Data tab to sort it out right. That instantly got excel to properly recognize everything as dates again for me.

  6. #6
    Administrator FDibbins's Avatar
    Duncansville, PA USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)
    Posts
    52,929

    Re: Using F2 - How do you do 3,000 entries all at once?

    Cryptikfox thanks for the input
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

    Regards
    Ford

  7. #7
    North of England
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Using F2 - How do you do 3,000 entries all at once?

    nice on cryptikfox - never heard that one before and I've been using excel full on for the last 20+ years (saved me a lot of time in a kpi project I'm doing) cheers!

  8. #8
    Spain
    MS-Off Ver
    Office Professional Plus 2019

    Re: Using F2 - How do you do 3,000 entries all at once?

    Very interesting and easy solution!

    Thanks to share it Cryptikfox