Help with Excel Formulas or Functions

  1. #1
    Containsmiles
    Guest

    Help with Excel Formulas or Functions

    Hi, I'm working on a project and I was wondering if anyone can help me. I
    need to know the formula that I can use to input the age of each individuals,
    those who are "under 55", "age 55", and "over 55". I tried to input the
    formula for all three but it said that I enter too many arguments. Any help
    would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    PDUK1
    Guest

    RE: Help with Excel Formulas or Functions

    Hi there

    Can you post your formula?

    Peter

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    You can use a nested if statement

    =if(a1=55,"Age 55",if(a1<55,"Under 55","over 55"))

    Or if you want an error condition you can nest another if statement:

    =if(a1=55,"Age 55",if(a1<55,"Under 55",if(a1>55,"Over 55","Error")))

    FYI you can nest 7 if statements I believe, and if you need more you can reference another cell that uses more if statements

  4. #4
    PDUK1

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Help with Excel Formulas or Functions

    You can easily calculate the age with

    =DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"y")

    what do you want to do then?

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Containsmiles
    Guest

    RE: Help with Excel Formulas or Functions

    I used the IF formula: =IF (A1>....) but I'm lost. Is it possible to have
    all three if's "under 55", "age 55", and "over 55" years of age?

  7. #7
    Containsmiles
    Guest

    Re: Help with Excel Formulas or Functions

    I tried the formula but it didn't work. My data has like about 600
    individuals. I was trying to do three different column of their ages: (1)
    based on their present age, (2) their age in 12/31/2007, and (3) their age in
    6/30/2009.

  8. #8
    Containsmiles
    Guest

    Re: Help with Excel Formulas or Functions

    I just played with the formula you gave and I got it. Thanks for your help.
    =IF(I2=55,"Age 55",IF(I2>55,"over 55",IF(I2<55,"under 55")))

  9. #9
    Containsmiles
    Guest

    Re: Help with Excel Formulas or Functions

    I solved it already. Thanks for your help. I used Datedif function before
    but somehow it didn't apply to this scenario. Instead I used the following:
    =IF(I2=55,"Age 55",IF(I2>55,"over 55",IF(I2<55,"under 55")))
    Hey, looks like my Excel is improving thanks to the community board. Thanks
    again.