If statement to test font color

  1. #1
    Gary
    Guest

    If statement to test font color

    I have seen this question in reverse on the forum. Usually the question is
    to change the font color when criteria is met.

    I need to test the font color in order to determine value. I can do it in
    code with a for..next loop but I was wondering if it could be done in an if
    statement?

    Example: If(fontcolor (A2) = "Red", then "Next Day", "Standard")

    What would be the syntax?

    Thanks for the help.

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: If statement to test font color

    Chip has lots on colours; www.cpearson.com
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    PDUK1
    Guest

    RE: If statement to test font color

    Try this:

    Sub FontColor()
    MsgBox "The Font Color Index is " & ActiveCell.Font.ColorIndex
    End Sub

    If Cell.Font.ColorIndex = 3 Then xxxx

    Peter

  4. #4
    Gary
    Guest

    RE: If statement to test font color

    Peter,

    Thanks for the quick response.

    I may not have been clear. I was looking for a way to enter that same idea
    into a cell. Is that possible?

  5. #5
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: If statement to test font color

    There is no way within a formula to determine a cell's color,
    either background or foreground. You need a VBA function. See the
    "Returning The ColorIndex Of A Cell" on
    www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm .

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

  6. #6
    Gary
    Guest

    Re: If statement to test font color

    Chip,

    Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that might be the answer but was
    hoping.