Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

All 0's for Sums in Pivot Table

  1. #1
    Angela Giuliano
    Guest

    All 0's for Sums in Pivot Table

    I have a large data set which I am trying to summarize. Basically I am
    trying to sum the weight of fish caught by site. It shows the counts
    correctly but everytime I try to switch the calculation to sums, it displays
    0 for all of the cells which I know not to be correct. Does anyone know what
    is going on? I have been trying to figure it out all day.

    If it helps, I am using Excel 2002.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: All 0's for Sums in Pivot Table

    Most likely the weights are seen as text by Excel, go to source code and use

    =ISTEXT(A2)

    replace A2 with the first cell in weight column, copy down, if you get TRUE
    the values are text, one remedy would be to copy an empty cell, select all
    the weights and do edit>paste special and select add. If that does not work
    you must have hidden characters in your range.

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com
    if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

    "Angela Giuliano" <Angela [email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Vancouver

    Try this

    Could it be that your source data looks like numbers but is actually a collection of text strings?

    Try the following:

    Right-click on the area below your spreadsheet where it says "Ready" and make sure that "Sum" is checked on the pop-up menu that appears.

    Select a few of the numbers in your data that you want to sum, and see if the sum appears on the right, below your spreadsheet.

    If not, you need to convert strings to numbers as follows:

    Select the column that contains your numbers.
    Click Data > Text to Columns > Next > Next > General > Finish

  4. #4
    Angela Giuliano
    Guest

    Re: All 0's for Sums in Pivot Table

    Nope. All came up as FALSE. Guess I have the hidden characters option . . .
    Any way around that?

  5. #5
    Angela Giuliano
    Guest

    Re: All 0's for Sums in Pivot Table

    Thank you! That worked!!!

    "CaptainQuattro" wrote:

    > Could it be that your source data looks like numbers but is actually a
    > collection of text strings?
    >
    > Try the following:
    >
    > Right-click on the area below your spreadsheet where it says "Ready"
    > and make sure that "Sum" is checked on the pop-up menu that appears.
    >
    > Select a few of the numbers in your data that you want to sum, and see
    > if the sum appears on the right, below your spreadsheet.
    >
    > If not, you need to convert strings to numbers as follows:
    >

    > Select the column that contains your numbers.
    > Click Data > Text to Columns > Next > Next > General > Finish
    >

    > --
    > CaptainQuattro
    > CaptainQuattro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32763
    > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=544938