Help with Default Excel file and template

  1. #1
    Mark McDonough
    Guest

    Help with Default Excel file and template

    I'm having trouble getting the default "Book1" opening when starting Excel.

    I made some changes to the default template book.xlt to include the option
    "Accept Labels in Formulas" among a few other changes like number formats
    and the like

    Since doing this, it is the template file itself Book.xlt that opens up on
    starting Excel and not Book1.

    I notice also that by default there are actually 2 folders named Xlstart.The
    folders are:

    c:\Documents\Settings\My Documents\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\Xlstart

    And

    c:\Program files\Microsoft office\office11\Xlstart.

    The book.xlt file is in the former directory. Now I do understand that
    anything in that folder will open on starting Excel but if I remove the
    book.xlt from there then where should it go. I haven't deleted it from the
    Xlstart directory for fear that I won't get the desired result of having
    Book1 open with my changes included.

    There are no excel files of any kind in the Windows Start up directory. I'm
    lost - what do I do?

    Why can't Microsoft simply provide an option in Tools/Options etc to make
    changes to the default file I'll never know, rather than having to delve
    into the bowels of MS Office to look for some obscure file and make changes
    to that.

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    Cheers

    Mark.

    Cheers

    Mark

  2. #2

    Re: Help with Default Excel file and template

    I like to let excel tell me what version of XLStart it wants to use:

    Open excel
    hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE
    hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window
    type this and hit enter.
    ?application.startuppath

    For me (xl2003 and winXP):
    C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

    That's where I'd keep the only files that I want opened when excel opens.

    =======
    After you move/delete/merge all your files into that single location, I'd double
    check that the book.xlt was saved as a real template (Save as type at the bottom
    of the file|saveas dialog)--not just a normal workbook with an extension of
    ..xlt.

    =======
    If that doesn't work, there may be a problem with the way windows/excel wants to
    handle *.xlt files.

    I'd try this next.

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

    Then try opening excel to test it out.

    ========

    If that didn't work, you could manually change the default action of .xlt files

    Close excel
    start windows explorer
    tools|folder options|file types tab
    scroll down to the xlt extension (microsoft office excel template)
    click the advanced button
    click on the NEW item in the Actions box
    click set as default
    (ok your way out)

    (If new is already the default action (bolded), then cancel your way out.)

  3. #3
    Mark McDonough
    Guest

    Re: Help with Default Excel file and template

    Thanks Dave for this very informative response. Like you, I have Windows XP
    and MS Office 2003. I'll give this a go tonight.

    Cheers

    Mark

    news:[email protected]...