Drop down list as part of a file name selector

  1. #1
    Guido
    Guest

    Drop down list as part of a file name selector

    I created a drop down list. The list contains the names for certain Excel
    files without the extension ".xls" (File1, File1, File3, etc). Those files
    are stored in the same directory.
    In a different field I want to select data from one of the drop down list
    files. In that box I put: " ='B3.xls'!data "
    B3 is the location of the drop down list to select the specific file; data
    is the cell name in the data file.
    Needless to say that this doesn't work, but I hope someone knows how I can
    do this differently without using the huge IF-statement that I am using now.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: Drop down list as part of a file name selector

    You may use the INDIRECT.EXT function, that can fetch references from closed
    files. This is not a standard function, you have it available to download
    here:
    http://xcell05.free.fr/english/
    And the help for the function here:
    http://xcell05.free.fr/english/moref...direct.ext.htm
    In order to craft the reference part, use something like:
    "'" & B3 & ".xls'!data "
    Concatenating instead of writing the B3 as part of the string.

    Hope this helps,
    Miguel.