Obtaining an average by typing the salesman you want to see and the column to AVG

  1. #1

    Obtaining an average by typing the salesman you want to see and the column to AVG

    The crux of my problem is that I have an excel sheet keeping track of survey data (switching to access shortly). Right now the following function lets me select a salesman and get an instant average of his sales in the first column (I).

    =AVERAGE(IF($C$2:$C$80=A84,$I$2:$I$80))

    Currently, I type the name of the sales person in A84 and I get a readout on his percentage in column I. Column I contains data from all sales people and its all mixed together.

    John 1
    Steve 1
    John 0
    John 1
    Larry 1
    Sue 1
    Sue 0

    Name: [John] (all I do is type john and hit enter to get...)
    0%

    In my spreadsheet, there are about 10 columns worth of info. I will only need to average their score within the same column, I don't need to relate I to J. I would like to type

    [Q1] in one cell
    [John] in another and get
    0% for the readout.

    The purpose of this is to know at a glance how each sales person is performing in each of 10 areas with only one number displayed at a time.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Obtaining an average by typing the salesman you want to see and the column to AVG

    You could try using INDIRECT - along the lines of:

    =AVERAGE(IF($C$2:$C$80=A84,INDIRECT("$"&A83&"$2:$"&A83&"$80")))

    where A83 contains a single letter for the column to be averaged
    (e.g."Q") and A84 contains the name.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Obtaining an average by typing the salesman you want to see and the column to AVG

    My suggestion is Pivot Table
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme