conditional formatting glitches

  1. #1
    Kat
    Guest

    conditional formatting glitches

    Help! Has anyone heard of glitches with conditional formatting in Excel XP
    SP3? I teach courses and am considered an advanced user, however, I have
    never seen conditional formatting NOT work. A user pointed out a situation
    whereby the conditional formatting works in 2 sheets of a workbook, but not
    on some of the other sheets with the exact same scenario (different data, but
    formatted identically). Basically, the user is looking to have the sum
    result match another cell and turn the number red if it does NOT match. Our
    situation is this - the first 2 sheets work perfectly (number matches Sum -
    no color change), the next couple of sheets (number matches Sum - but changes
    to red color anyway!!) ? Why?! Checked conditions, formatting, restarted...
    The info on each sheet all comes from Cognos and though the specific data is
    different, everything else is the same!! What else can be wrong? There
    doesn't appear to be a logical explanation for the failure!

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: conditional formatting glitches

    If the SUM data are non-integer numbers, then it quite possible the they will
    not match the comparator cell. Try checking difference between SUM and
    comparator, e.g less then 0.001, and see if this works.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: conditional formatting glitches

    This may be the result of the way that Excel stores numbers. Check out this
    article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/78113

    If you're still thinking there is a problem, then perhaps post some of your
    data as well as the formulas you are using. We may be able to see something
    you've missed.

    HTH,
    Elkar