VLOOKUP

  1. #1
    wnfisba
    Guest

    VLOOKUP

    I need some serious VLOOKUP Help.

    I ahve the follwoing formula which is returning "True" in all cases and I
    know that's not the case because I've checked the data.

    Can anyone help me???

    Does anyone know of any good web sites that explain how VLOOKUP works???

    Here's the formula...

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(O4,Inventory!$A$5:$A$1712,1,0)),"True","False")

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP

    The formula seems to work for me as you've written it. Try checking the
    spelling of "Inventory" between your formula and the actual SheetName.
    Otherwise, the difference between O4 and it's corresponding value on the
    Inventory Sheet may be that one is formatted as TEXT and the other as a
    number

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    wnfisba
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP

    The spelling of the sheet is correct..."Inventory"...and the formatting of
    both cells is "General"...

    HELP!!!!!

  4. #4
    wnfisba
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP

    Could it be that one has trailing spaces and the other spreadsheet does not
    have trailing spaces???

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP

    "General" format is a fooler sometimes....it may still be TEXT..........try
    clicking on a blank unused cell somewhere, then click on the FormatPainter
    paintbrush and then click on the cell in Inventory sheet that contains your
    value of interest, then RETYPE the number in that cell and see if it
    works..........and then maybe try the same thing with O4........and be sure
    "Inventory" does not have a leading or trailing space.

    Your basic syntax for the formula is correct..........try setting up another
    formula using other variables to check it out and prove it to yourself.

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP

    Indeed it could...........both must be exactly the same for the formula to
    work.

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3