Image in spreadsheet- file is now too big

  1. #1
    Guest

    Image in spreadsheet- file is now too big

    our company uses a large spreadsheet to collect test data and
    certifications. Admin has put logo images in the file- (black and white
    image) in numerous places for all the part labels, box address labels,
    product certs, etc. Now this file is like 4.5 megs in size. we have to
    generate dozens of these daily, so fileserver space is shrinking fast.

    Is there a way to include the image but refer to it in an external location
    rather than embed it so the spreadsheet (containing multiple worksheets)
    does not become sooooo big??

    Thanks
    Paul

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor

    Images

    As you suggested, simply add a hyperlink. If the user clicks on it, Windows will activate the recognized picture reader to view it!
    Best regards,

    Ray

  3. #3
    Jeff Standen
    Guest

    Re: Image in spreadsheet- file is now too big

    Is it a compressed image? Or something like a bmp? Compressing it could
    really shrink the size. Or you could have a macro that just deletes all the
    images once it's finished with, if you won't use it again?

    Jeff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Image in spreadsheet- file is now too big

    You could use the spreadsheet with worksheet formulas to
    generate HTML, or with a macro to generate HTML.

    two days ago in links

    http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...oglegroups.com
    --

    HTH,

  5. #5
    Guest

    Re: Image in spreadsheet- file is now too big

    BMP or jpg I believe

    Paul

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Guest

    Re: Image in spreadsheet- file is now too big

    perhaps I failed to explain- these files are saved and brought up
    periodically to reprint reports. As a blank template the file is huge and
    as a saved file it is even bigger with hte manufacturing data. I cannot
    delete the images with a macro or a macro upon saving because I may have to
    reprint something. Would be nice to have html work- I will give that a try-
    but I don't feel confident it will work- I think it will only print the
    hypertext.

    Paul.

    news:%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Image in spreadsheet- file is now too big

    I understood what you said. What you want is something that
    does not store the images in the spreadsheet and you want
    a printable report complete with pictures. HTML does that.
    I did say that you would have to know HTML.

    While it would do what you wanted, it is obviously not a solution
    for you. But I have used the method to generate HTML for
    viewing pictures on a CD as an HTML file. For you the preparation
    of such files would far outweigh disadvantages of what you have,
    which is not unexpected. I just provided a concept.

    ---
    HTH,

  8. #8
    Jeff Standen
    Guest

    Re: Image in spreadsheet- file is now too big

    There's quite a diference. JPG pictures would be a fraction the size of
    BMPs. Check and convert them if necessary, and see if that helps.