Vlookup only taking first line of data

  1. #1
    Michael Dinning
    Guest

    Vlookup only taking first line of data

    Hello all, this is my first time of using this - so, hopefully someone can
    help.

    I am looking to do the following:

    I have a part number - for instance 12345

    I have a number of open purchase orders for that part - which are all listed
    on a rather large file with a number of other open purchase orders.

    What I want to do is take all the open purchase orders for that particular
    part and 'pull' them into another file. I would do this by looking up the
    part number and pulling each induvidual line item of information into another
    worksheet.

    Vlookup only takes the first value it gets to - how can I make it take the
    1st, 2nd, 3rd lines of information?

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup only taking first line of data

    Use Data>Filter>AutoFilter or Advanced Filter

    AP

    le message de news: [email protected]...

  3. #3
    How will filter work, when the information is in one sheet and I want to pull it into another?

    I am doing this for 100+ parts, with 700+ purchase orders.

    I want to see each part's purchase orders below the part - without having to copy and paste each block of data from the source sheet into induvidual part sheets.

  4. #4
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup only taking first line of data

    Assign a name to your purchase orders data (say: "orders")

    Then you can use it (as =orders) in the source range of an advanced filter

    Criteria range must specify data label ("order_no") in first row, and
    desired value (say 1234) in second row

    Tick "Copy to another destination"

    Destination range must include desired column headers

    AP

    "mickyd67" <[email protected]> a écrit
    dans le message de news:
    [email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ardus - thanks for your help, however that isn't working. Either I am doing something wrong or I've not explained it correctly.

    What I am attempting is:

    Sheet 1

    Cell A1 = part number 12345

    Sheet 2

    Column A = various part numbers (several hundred)
    Column B = PO number
    Column C = PO quantity
    Column D = PO due date
    Column E = PO required date
    Column F = PO actions
    Column G = Supplier name

    What I want to do is take the PO’s on sheet 2 that belong to part number 12345 and bring them into sheet 1 in a table that looks at the part number and pulls all the data that appears in columns B to G for that part.

    Some parts will have one PO – others could have dozens.

    Does your idea still work? Or is there another solution?

    (also just a note - I am doing this on a spreadsheet with 100+ tabs, 1 per part number and several hundred PO's. Therefore you can see why I am attempting this)

    Cheers.

  6. #6
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup only taking first line of data

    In order to be able to use Data>Filter, you need to have column headers
    above your data

    Sheet1:
    -----------
    A1 = "part_no"
    A2 = 12345

    Sheet2:
    -----------
    A1 = "part_no"
    A2 thru A999: your part numbers

    B1 = "PO_no"
    B2 thru B999: your PO no's

    etc...

  7. #7
    paul
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup only taking first line of data

    if you mean what I think you mean you just repeat your vlookup actoss your
    sheet increasing the column numbers upward as you go actoss until you fill
    alll coluns as required
    --
    paul
    [email protected]