Pivot Table - Grand Total for Rows

  1. #1
    Joe
    Guest

    Pivot Table - Grand Total for Rows

    I'm using XL 2002 and I have a pivot table that has "Grand totals for rows"
    turned on. This works perfect. However, amongst the rows of data, I have
    one row that is static...it simply shows the 'goal' for the respective
    column. I don't want that row to show anything in the Grand Total column.
    Is there a trick way to defeat the appearance of the Grand Total for just
    that row. Goal doesn't need to have any type of calculation performed on
    it...it's simply a reference number for the related dat in the its respective
    column that it appears in.

    Example:

    Item Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Grand Total
    West 10 20 30 40 100
    South 15 25 35 45 120
    Goal 5 5 5 5 <---- Have nothing appear here.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table - Grand Total for Rows

    You can't turn off the Grand Total for specific items, but you could
    format the cell with white font, which would hide it.

    Joe wrote:

    > I'm using XL 2002 and I have a pivot table that has "Grand totals for rows"
    > turned on. This works perfect. However, amongst the rows of data, I have
    > one row that is static...it simply shows the 'goal' for the respective
    > column. I don't want that row to show anything in the Grand Total column.
    > Is there a trick way to defeat the appearance of the Grand Total for just
    > that row. Goal doesn't need to have any type of calculation performed on
    > it...it's simply a reference number for the related dat in the its respective
    > column that it appears in.
    >
    > Example:
    >
    > Item Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Grand Total
    > West 10 20 30 40 100
    > South 15 25 35 45 120
    > Goal 5 5 5 5 <---- Have nothing appear here.

    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  3. #3
    Joe
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table - Grand Total for Rows

    Thank you Debra for the quick reply. I thought about the white formatting
    trick but how would you do it for an 'unknown' number of rows........or do I
    have to format them manually each time I refresh the pivot table ie: one day
    I may have 10 instances to format and then the next day I may have 35
    instances to reformat.

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table - Grand Total for Rows

    In your first post you said that it was "one row that is static", so
    manual formatting might have worked in that situation.

    If it's a variable number of rows, you could apply formatting
    programmatically, or experiment with conditional formatting, based on
    the row and column headings.