Grouping Workbooks Into One Window

  1. #1

    Grouping Workbooks Into One Window

    Hi,

    I am running Office XP on my computer. After I first installed Excel, whenever I opened a workbook it would open in a separate window. Now, they all open in one Excel window and I have to go up to the 'Window' toolbar to switch between workbooks. I am working with workbooks that I have to constantly switch between so this gets very frustrating at times. How can I configure it back to the way it was before? Thanks in advance!

    Raman

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    RE: Grouping Workbooks Into One Window

    I believe that if you were to start another instance of Excel (Start ->
    Programs -> Select Excel), it will do what you want.

  3. #3
    It used to do it everytime I opened a new workbook automatically and I was hoping to get it to work like that again if possible. Thank you for your suggestion though.

    By the way, Word still does that (opens each document in a new window) so I'm guessing its a setting somewhere.

  4. #4
    Sorry to bump this up but does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks!

  5. #5

    Re: Grouping Workbooks Into One Window

    If you really mean separate windows of the same excel application:

    Tools|Options|view tab|check windows in task bar.

    Remember that ctrl-tab (or ctrl-F6) will swap between open workbooks in the same
    instance of excel very quickly.

  6. #6
    Thanks for the help Dave! I didn't know about the Ctrl-Tab feature but I do now