LOOKUP Question [again!]

  1. #1
    shakey1181
    Guest

    LOOKUP Question [again!]

    Apologies for another query, I have managed to get around the last one, so
    thanks to all who helped.

    I'm still struggling with the LOOKUP Function. I need to do a 'double'
    vlookup so for example,

    A1 = 01/01/06
    B1 = 23
    C1 = 250

    how do i set the lookup so it returns C1 only if A1 and B1 are correct? I
    have tried using two sets of vlookup at once, but without success.

    Thanks again

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Bristol, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    You could try adding an IF/AND formula at the start:

    =IF(AND(B1=23, C1=250),VLOOKUP(whatever, whatever, whatever, FALSE), "")

    SamuelT
    Last edited by SamuelT; 05-31-2006 at 09:06 AM.

  3. #3
    Paul Lautman
    Guest

    Re: LOOKUP Question [again!]

    shakey1181 wrote:
    > Apologies for another query, I have managed to get around the last
    > one, so thanks to all who helped.
    >
    > I'm still struggling with the LOOKUP Function. I need to do a 'double'
    > vlookup so for example,
    >
    > A1 = 01/01/06
    > B1 = 23
    > C1 = 250
    >
    > how do i set the lookup so it returns C1 only if A1 and B1 are
    > correct? I have tried using two sets of vlookup at once, but without
    > success.
    >
    > Thanks again

    Look back in this forum to find Bob Phillips' reply to the Thread "Lookup
    for concatenated data"

  4. #4
    shakey1181
    Guest

    Re: LOOKUP Question [again!]

    This isn't working, i still need to set the range i think.

    I can't figure out how to set the range and returned cell when looking for
    two specific values. so it would only return a value ONLY when A1 and B1 were
    correct and otherwise to return 0.

    A1 is a date, could this be causing the problem? I have checked that the
    sheet the lookup is referencing is in the same format etc.

  5. #5
    shakey1181
    Guest

    Re: LOOKUP Question [again!]

    This doesn't work either, and I don't think this is really what I am looking
    for. I don't think I have explained myself very well. so here goes:

    for the sake of example i am working in cell b1 of sheet1! with column 'a'
    populated with dates and c2:c11 containing the table relating to column 'b'
    on sheet2!

    the below details are on sheet2!

    A1 B1 C1
    01/01/2006 23 100
    02/01/2006 24 200
    03/01/2006 25 300

    so i thought the formula might [but doesn't] look like this:

    =vlookup(a1,sheet2!,a1:c3)+(vlookup(c2:c11,sheet2!b1:c3,2,false),0)

    so it would only return sheet2! column C data if A was 01/01/06 and 23 was
    in the array c2:c11 on sheet1!

  6. #6
    Paul Lautman
    Guest

    Re: LOOKUP Question [again!]

    Well, if you weren't explaining yourself very well before, I'm sorry to say
    that you've got even worse!
    As I read it (about 50 times so far!) this formula should do what you want:

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(VLOOKUP(A1,sheet2stuff,2,FALSE),sheet1stuff,0)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,sheet2stuff,3,FALSE))

    where sheet1stuff is the name of the range Sheet1!C2:C11 and sheet2stuff is
    the name of the range Sheet!A1:C3

    shakey1181 wrote:
    > This doesn't work either, and I don't think this is really what I am
    > looking for. I don't think I have explained myself very well. so here
    > goes:
    >
    > for the sake of example i am working in cell b1 of sheet1! with
    > column 'a' populated with dates and c2:c11 containing the table
    > relating to column 'b' on sheet2!
    >
    > the below details are on sheet2!
    >
    > A1 B1 C1
    > 01/01/2006 23 100
    > 02/01/2006 24 200
    > 03/01/2006 25 300
    >
    > so i thought the formula might [but doesn't] look like this:
    >
    > =vlookup(a1,sheet2!,a1:c3)+(vlookup(c2:c11,sheet2!b1:c3,2,false),0)
    >
    > so it would only return sheet2! column C data if A was 01/01/06 and
    > 23 was in the array c2:c11 on sheet1!
    >

    > "Paul Lautman" wrote:
    >
    >> shakey1181 wrote:
    >>> Apologies for another query, I have managed to get around the last
    >>> one, so thanks to all who helped.
    >>>
    >>> I'm still struggling with the LOOKUP Function. I need to do a
    >>> 'double' vlookup so for example,
    >>>
    >>> A1 = 01/01/06
    >>> B1 = 23