Merged Cell Conditional Formatting Borders

  1. #1
    T Kirtley
    Guest

    Merged Cell Conditional Formatting Borders

    When I apply conditional formatting to a range of merged cells the
    conditional borders I specify do not extend around the entire merged range;
    they only appear on the top, left, and bottom of first cell of the range.
    Fonts and patterns work fine across the entire merged range, but the borders
    do not seem to recognize that the range extends across several cells.

    Is thare a workaround for this, or another way to accomplish this without
    using code? (The rest of the sheet is working fine, and will be used by a
    wide assortment of users so I don't want the risk / hassle of requiring that
    macros are enabled to make the sheet work properly).

    In case it matters, the conditional formatting is based on a formula such
    as: {=A10="OTHER"} so when a value of "Other" is entered in cell A10,
    (through a data validation list), the conditionally formatted range should
    appear along with a prompt to enter a description of what the value of
    "Other" represents.

    Thanks, Any suggestions are greatly appreciated,

    TK

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Merged Cell Conditional Formatting Borders

    Hi ...,
    I had no trouble putting borders around merged cells.
    What you have to do is select the columns that you want colored borders
    to apply to and that includes all parts of the merged cell(s)

    That also means you must change your formula to
    =$A10="OTHER
    because it is referenced from more than one column. so you must
    mke the Column reference Absolute.

    ---
    HTH,

  3. #3
    T Kirtley
    Guest

    Re: Merged Cell Conditional Formatting Borders

    Thanks David!

    Using an absolute reference in the condition's formula did the trick.

    Funny though, conditional cell shading worked fine across all cells in the
    merged range without using an absolute reference in the formula, it was just
    the borders that were picky about the absolute reference.

    Anyway, it's working fine now.

    Thanks again,

    TK