"Cannot access read-only document" (I get this error when I try to open an Excel file)

  1. #1

    "Cannot access read-only document" (I get this error when I try to open an Excel file)

    If anyone can help I'd be greatly appreciative. Whenever I try to open
    a particular Excel file (ie. filename.xls) I get the error, "Cannot
    access read-only document". This is a file I use almost daily. I've
    checked the file's properties and the "Read Only" property is not
    checked. It opened fine just a couple days ago. Since then, the only
    problem I had was with my System.ini file. System.ini appeared to have
    become corrupted (upon bootup yesterday, I had lost my mouse and my
    screen was stuck at 640X480 and 16 colors - what caused this I have no
    idea). I know that System.ini was corrupted because after this screen
    display problem started yesterday, I went into "msconfig" and chose the
    "System.ini" tab and all I saw was mostly gibberish. I have since
    fixed that problem (by using "scanreg /restore") and now everything on
    my computer seems normal again except for this issue with opening a
    particular Excel file. I can open every other Excel file except the
    one in question.
    I should also mention that when I right click on the Excel file in
    question and choose "Properties", I only get the "General" tab. All of
    my other Excel files show "General", "Custom", and "Summary" tabs when
    I right click on them and choose "Properties". I am running Windows Me
    with Excel '97 (I have not had any need to upgrade as this combination
    has served me well).
    Thanks for any insight into this problem.

  2. #2
    **Gail**
    Guest

    Re: "Cannot access read-only document" (I get this error when I try to open an Excel file)

    This will sound simple, but it should work.

    Clear out your Temp internet files and your Temp directories (Esp the temp
    directory in Document and settings/your user name).

    news:[email protected]...
    :