Remove html markup tags in an EXCEL cell?

  1. #1

    Remove html markup tags in an EXCEL cell?

    I have a worksheet containing text extracted from a web page that still includes html markup tags, or example <BR>, <font etc and all the other normal html markup codes. This is stored inside an EXCEL text cell. The rest of the Worksheet contains normal text, numberic and date data. Does anyone please know a way to automatically strip out all of the html markup tags from the single column that I have with these in, whilst leaving the rest of the worksheet unaffected? Many thanks if you can help solve this knotty little problem

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: Remove html markup tags in an EXCEL cell?

    i assume the text is in a normal cell or do you mean a text box?I tried a
    little test with find and replace and find <*> and in the replace box leave
    blank /replace all
    --
    paul
    [email protected]

  3. #3

    RE: Remove html markup tags in an EXCEL cell?

    Thanks Paul. Unfortunately your suggested solution does not achieve the desired goal. The problem is that the text contained in the EXCEL cell (I have tried with both General and with text format) can contain up to 1500 - 2000 characters distributed into several hundred words. The overall EXCEL .xls file is about 10 MB size, and contains about 3000 rows with up to 17 coloumns. Trying your replace <*> trick just on the column that I am trying to strip the html markupo from in EXCEL gives me an error meaasage saying 'Formula is too long'. Importing the whole .xls file into ACCESS, and trying the same replace operation on the column in question also gives an ACCESS error: 'There isn't enough free memory to continue the search'

    So, the resolution to this problem is a little appears to be a little more subtle than a simple replace <*>, and is presumably related to the size of the information in the cell. I am running on XP with a pentium laptop with 1 GB of physical RAM, with about 600 MBytes which is free of other processes (and hence available to EXCEL in principal), and 2.2 GBytes of free page file space.

    Many thanks for any futher suggestions to help solve this problem

    Glenn White

  4. #4
    paul
    Guest

    Re: Remove html markup tags in an EXCEL cell?

    maybe break the text into smaller "chunks or ry pasting into word to see if
    you can do it there and paste back