VLOOKUP Question/problem

  1. #1
    ANTiSEEN
    Guest

    VLOOKUP Question/problem

    I am trying to use VLOOKUP to populate a cell in an invoice.

    It looks to a second page with the prices, and they are designated by a #
    then a letter, like 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B in column B. Column C is a description,
    then the values I want returned are in column D.

    My formula is =VLOOKUP(B11,Prices!B4:D82,3) where I enter say 1A into B11
    then it should find 1A in the range and return the value from the 3rd column
    in the same row as the value 1A.

    Problem is, it works on some and brings up the wrong value on others. I am
    just trying to get cell B11 to work properly. Why would it bring up the
    right value when I enter 30A but return the wrong value when I enter 1A?

    Help!

  2. #2

    Re: VLOOKUP Question/problem

    You're looking for an exact match for the value in B11, right?

    =VLOOKUP(B11,Prices!B4:D82,3,False)

    That 4th parm (false) tells excel that you want that exact match.

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Question/problem

    Hi

    Use the last argument for VLOOKUP - which should be FALSE, in your example.
    If your list is unsorted it may result in errors otherwise. It will now
    return an exact match, or an error.

    Hope this helps.
    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    ANTiSEEN
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Question/problem

    Thanks guys! That was it......

    How can I make it show nothing instead of #N/A when there is no value in the
    cells in column B?

  5. #5
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Question/problem

    You could wrap it in an IF formula:
    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(B11,Prices!B4:D82,3,false)),"",VLOOKUP(B11,Prices!B4:D82,3,false))

  6. #6
    smonczka
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Question/problem

    Yes, I ran into the same problem myself, look up the formula for ISNA,
    such as...

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,product,3,FALSE)),0,(VLOOKUP(A1,product,3,FALSE)))

    in English...

    If the VLookup returns N/A then return 0 otherwize return what ever was
    looked up.

    Hope that helps.

    Steve

  7. #7
    Tim
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Question/problem

    Thanks again, I am sooooo rusty at this..........

    One last question for this sheet. When I try to drag the formula down all
    the cells increment up. What can I do to freeze some (the range where the
    data is coming from) and let others climb (column B where I enter the
    qualifier)?

  8. #8
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Question/problem

    You need to use absolute references:
    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(B11,Prices!$B$4:$D$82,3,false)),"",VLOOKUP(B11,Prices!$B$4:$D$82,3,false))

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Tim
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Question/problem

    OK one more 'last' question...

    In column K I total the result of the VLOOKUP * the quantity I enter into
    column J, but if there's nothing in J it shows, #VALUE! It's just =I11*J11

    How do I wrap that in an IF formula?

  10. #10
    Doug
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Question/problem

    "Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks again, I am sooooo rusty at this..........
    >
    > One last question for this sheet. When I try to drag the formula down all
    > the cells increment up. What can I do to freeze some (the range where the
    > data is coming from) and let others climb (column B where I enter the
    > qualifier)?

    Put $ signs in front of any numbers you want to fix.

  11. #11
    Tim
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Question/problem

    I thought it was $ but when I tried it I did it like $B11 instead of $BE$11

    THANKS!!!!!!

  12. #12
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Question/problem