remove characters from a text under a condition

  1. #1

    remove characters from a text under a condition

    Hello,

    I know if you want to remove the last X characters, you can do it by

    =left(A1,(len(A1)-X))

    I want to remove any characters from a text that is longer than 35
    characters.
    ie, I want to remove characters 36th and onwards.

    How can I do it?

    Thanks.
    Elaine.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Try =left(A1, 35)

  3. #3
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: remove characters from a text under a condition

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I know if you want to remove the last X characters, you can do it by
    >
    > =left(A1,(len(A1)-X))
    >
    > I want to remove any characters from a text that is longer than 35
    > characters.
    > ie, I want to remove characters 36th and onwards.
    >
    > How can I do it?

    =LEFT(A1,35)

    Did you look at Excel's help to see what the LEFT function does?
    --
    David Biddulph

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: remove characters from a text under a condition

    =LEFT(A1,$F$1) and type whatever number of characters you want to keep in
    cell F1

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  5. #5

    Re: remove characters from a text under a condition

    yeah sure!!
    cant believe i didnt know"

    thank so much!

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: remove characters from a text under a condition

    Happy to help...........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3