Formula Help based around countif and counta

  1. #1
    Mark McDonough
    Guest

    Formula Help based around countif and counta

    I have a situation where there are 4 columns of rates from different
    suppliers. The suppliers have only submitted rates for the locations they
    can do and these rates are listed by state. Those locations where they
    cannot provide the service have a zero in their field for those locations.
    The zeros have to remain to show that that they are zero and not just
    forgotten.

    What I need to do is to count the list of rates only for non-zero rates and
    do this by state. I know I could autofilter the data and count from that
    but I'm looking for something a little bit more sophisticated than that. The
    countif and counta functions should be involved here and exactly what is the
    difference between these two.

    Any help appreciated.

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Formula Help based around countif and counta

    sumproduct is your friend. Ideas to modify to your needs
    to count
    =sumproduct((a2:a22="joe")*(b2:b22=1))
    to sum
    =sumproduct((a2:a22="joe")*(b2:b22=1)*c2:c22)
    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Formula Help based around countif and counta

    Try something like this:

    Assuming you have a data structure like this:

    StateList Supplier1 Supplier2 Supplier3 Supplier4
    State1 1 0 3 1
    State2 0 2 3 1
    State3 1 0 0 1

    The count of Supplier1 non-zero rates would be:
    =COUNTIF(B:B,">0")

    Supplier2 would be: =COUNTIF(C:C,">0")
    etc

    The COUNTIF functions counts items that match a user defined critera.
    The COUNTA function counts non-blank cells....check Excel Help for more
    information on what that means.

    Does that help?
    Regards,
    Ron