Pick a Random name from a list.

  1. #1
    David M Fritzke
    Guest

    Pick a Random name from a list.

    I am working on a Free Give Away of some products. Our systems give me a
    list of individuals who we have had contact which are then placed in excel.
    We would like to pick a weekly winner and would prefer not to throw darts at
    my screen. Any Ideas?

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Bristol, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Gummi bears?

  3. #3
    hans bal(nl)
    Guest

    RE: Pick a Random name from a list.

    Insert a column (A) with a sequential number for each individual starting at 1

    Then type the follwing formula in a cell :
    =VLOOKUP(RAND()*MAX(A:A)+1,A:B,TRUE)
    This assumes that you have the names in culumn B

    This formula will pick up a random individual, but remember that it changes
    everytime you open or recalculate your spreadsheet !!! Winners might quickly
    become losers !!!!

    Hans

  4. #4
    David M Fritzke
    Guest

    RE: Pick a Random name from a list.

    Thanks I will give it a try! I guess I can turn off calculation for this
    book, just make it manual.

  5. #5
    hans bal(nl)
    Guest

    RE: Pick a Random name from a list.

    Of course, but better is to make a note of the winner, just to make sure.

    If you want to prevent this, you could write a macro that does the same
    calculation when you run it.

    Hans

  6. #6
    David M Fritzke