How do I replace a BEL Character of 7 with a space

  1. #1
    KBear
    Guest

    How do I replace a BEL Character of 7 with a space

    I have an extract from a Lotus Notes Database. When entering data into the
    database, we used the enter key to separate paragraphs. When this data is
    placed into Excel, the carriage returns appear as either a BEL character of 7
    or a DEL character of 127. Not quite sure, but it shows up as a square.

    I would like to remove all these characters and replace them with a space.
    If I use the Clean function, all of the characters (spaces) are removed, but
    this does not leave any spaces so words and paragrahs then become combined.
    I have tried a combination of the clean and substitute functions without any
    success.

  2. #2

    Re: How do I replace a BEL Character of 7 with a space

    Saved from a previous post:

    Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that will help determine what that
    character(s) is:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

    Since you do see a box, then you can either fix it via a helper cell or a macro:

    =substitute(a1,char(13),"")
    or
    =substitute(a1,char(13)," ")

    Replace 13 with the ASCII value you see in Chip's addin.

    Or you could use a macro (after using Chip's CellView addin):

    Option Explicit
    Sub cleanEmUp()

    Dim myBadChars As Variant
    Dim myGoodChars As Variant
    Dim iCtr As Long

    myBadChars = Array(Chr(10), Chr(13)) '<--What showed up in CellView?

    myGoodChars = Array(" "," ") '<--what's the new character?

    If UBound(myGoodChars) <> UBound(myBadChars) Then
    MsgBox "Design error!"
    Exit Sub
    End If

    For iCtr = LBound(myBadChars) To UBound(myBadChars)
    ActiveSheet.Cells.Replace What:=myBadChars(iCtr), _
    Replacement:=myGoodChars(iCtr), _
    LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
    MatchCase:=False
    Next iCtr

    -------
    Sometimes those funny characters don't work in the edit|Find dialog.
    alt-0010 (or ctrl-j) (aka: alt-enters) work ok. char(13) has never worked for
    me.