Can a value from a different cell be the false answer in =If quest

  1. #1
    Jenna
    Guest

    Can a value from a different cell be the false answer in =If quest

    I want to write an If statement where if the answer is false, the exact value
    from another cell will go into the cell with the formula.

    For example.

    In H6 i would write

    =If(E6=not given, "", "E6")

    where if E6 = not given nothing would appear in H6, but if it did NOT = not
    given then the value in E6 would go into H6

  2. #2
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: Can a value from a different cell be the false answer in =If quest

    Try the following:

    =IF(ISBLANK(E6),"",E6)
    --
    Kevin Backmann

  3. #3
    Jenna
    Guest

    RE: Can a value from a different cell be the false answer in =If q

    Sorry, I should have been more clear.

    E6 will actually say "Not Given" or have a phone number in it. It will not
    be blank if nothing is given.

    Is there a way to do this?

  4. #4
    Jenna
    Guest

    RE: Can a value from a different cell be the false answer in =If q

    Sorr, I shoul dhave been more clear.

    E6 will actually say "not given" or have a phone number in it. It will not
    be blank.

    thanks

  5. #5
    =IF(ISBLANK(E6),"Not Given",E6)

    If you have another column where a phone number might be you could write:

    =IF(ISBLANK(E6),IF(ISBLANK(F6),"Not Given",F6),E6)

    Where F6 represents the cell where you might or might not have a phone number.

    Peter

  6. #6
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Can a value from a different cell be the false answer in =If q

    "Jenna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Kevin B" wrote:

    >> "Jenna" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I want to write an If statement where if the answer is false, the exact
    >> > value
    >> > from another cell will go into the cell with the formula.
    >> >
    >> > For example.
    >> >
    >> > In H6 i would write
    >> >
    >> > =If(E6=not given, "", "E6")
    >> >
    >> > where if E6 = not given nothing would appear in H6, but if it did NOT =
    >> > not
    >> > given then the value in E6 would go into H6

    >> Try the following:
    >>
    >> =IF(ISBLANK(E6),"",E6)

    > Sorry, I should have been more clear.
    >
    > E6 will actually say "Not Given" or have a phone number in it. It will
    > not
    > be blank if nothing is given.
    >
    > Is there a way to do this?

    =IF(E6="Not Given","", E6)
    --
    David Biddulph

  7. #7
    Jenna
    Guest

    Re: Can a value from a different cell be the false answer in =If q

    But E6 won't be blank. it will either have a phone number in it or say "not
    given"