Counting unique entries based on given condition

  1. #1
    Hari
    Guest

    Counting unique entries based on given condition

    Hi,

    If I following data,

    Comp Prod Unit
    a x 1
    b x 2
    a x 2
    a y 5

    Then how can I know the number of unique companies for each type of
    product (and the count of units)

    I want something like this

    Product UniqueComp SumOfUnits
    x 2 5
    y 1 5

    I can do the SumOfUnits using SumIf formula but dont know how to
    generate the Unique company counts for each product.

    Also is it possible to get a Pivot based solution to this problem?

    Regards
    HP
    India

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Counting unique entries based on given condition

    Try this:

    <Data><Pivot Table>
    Use: Excel
    Select your data
    Click the [Layout] button

    ROW: Drag the Prod field here
    DATA:
    Drag the Comp field here
    If it doesn't list as Count of Comp...dbl-click it and set it to Count
    Drag the Unit field here
    If it doesn't list as Sum of Unit...dbl-click it and set it to Sum

    Click [OK]
    Select where you want the Pivot Table

    Not quite right yet...so....
    Click and HOLD the Data column of the Pivot Table
    Drag it on top of the Total heading....Release
    Done!

    That will list each Product with the Count of Companies and Sum of Units.

    To refresh the Pivot Table, just right click it and select Refresh Data

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  3. #3
    Hari
    Guest

    Re: Counting unique entries based on given condition

    Ron,

    Thanks for your post. The setup (format) of the solution is fine, but
    in the "Count Of comp" I want only the count of Unique companies. So in
    case of Product x would have only 2 (and not 3) as Count of Comp.

    Is that possible?

    Regards,
    HP
    India

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: Counting unique entries based on given condition

    Yikes....I completely missed that!

    As far as I know, there's no "count unique" functionality in a Pivot Table.

    Maybe this will work for you...

    When builiding the Pivot Table, put the Company field in the COLUMN section
    (and remove it from the DATA section)
    ->That will list the companies in the column headings

    Then, put the COUNT function to the right of of the Grand Total column to
    count the number of cells under the Company listings that have numbers in
    them...and, consequently, the count of companies for each product.

    Note: if the GetPivtoData function appears and you don't want to use it...
    See the instructions on how to toggle it on/of at Debra Dalgleish's website:
    http://contextures.com/xlPivot06.html

    Is that something you can work with?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  5. #5
    Hari
    Guest

    Re: Counting unique entries based on given condition

    Ron,

    Thanks again for the post.

    Problem with putting the count function to right of the Total table is
    that I would have to adjust the formula ranges for each product typr
    manually which would defeat the purpose of making a pivot table.

    Are there pure formula based solutions to this problem (without using
    pivots). Probably some variation of an array sumproduct along with
    "embedded" countif kind of formula?

    Regards,
    HP
    India

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Counting unique entries based on given condition

    You can use this method

    http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Unique

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com
    if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Hari
    Guest

    Re: Counting unique entries based on given condition

    Peo,

    Thanks for your link. It has been very helpul.

    Regards,
    HP
    India

  8. #8
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: Counting unique entries based on given condition

    In case you're still interested in a formula approach, this seems to work:

    With your data list contained in A1:C10

    And
    E1: Prod
    F1: Comp Count
    G1: Unit Total

    E2:
    =SUM(($B$1:$B$11=E2)*(E2<>"")*(FREQUENCY(($B$1:$B$10=E2)*MATCH($A$1:$A$10&$B$1:$B$10,$A$1:$A$10&$B$1:$B$10,0),($B$1:$B$10=E2)*MATCH($A$1:$A$10&$B$1:$B$10,$A$1:$A$10&$B$1:$B$10,0))>0))

    F2:
    =SUM(($B$1:$B$11=E2)*(FREQUENCY(($B$1:$B$10=E2)*MATCH($A$1:$A$10&$B$1:$B$10,$A$1:$A$10&$B$1:$B$10,0),($B$1:$B$10=E2)*MATCH($A$1:$A$10&$B$1:$B$10,$A$1:$A$10&$B$1:$B$10,0))>0))

    G2: =SUMIF($B$1:$B$10,E2,$C$1:$C$10)

    Note_1:
    The formulss in E2 and F2 are ARRAY FORMULAS.
    For array formulas, hold down [Ctrl] and [Shift] when you press [Enter],
    instead of just pressing [Enter].

    Note_2: In case text wrap impacts the display, there are NO spaces in those
    formulas.

    Next....
    Copy E2:G2
    Paste into E3:G3 and down as far as you need

    Not especially elegant, but...Is that something you can work with?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  9. #9
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Counting unique entries based on given condition

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Hari" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Are there pure formula based solutions to this problem (without using
    > pivots). Probably some variation of an array sumproduct along with
    > "embedded" countif kind of formula?

    Assuming that A2:C5 contains the data, let E2 and E3 contain x and y,
    respectively, then try the following...

    For a unique count, if you download and install the free add-in
    Morefunc.xll...

    F2, confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, and copied down:

    =COUNTDIFF(IF($B$2:$B$5=E2,$A$2:$A$5,0),FALSE,0)

    Otherwise...

    F2, confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, and copied down:

    =COUNT(1/FREQUENCY(IF($B$2:$B$5=E2,IF($A$2:$A$5<>"",MATCH($A$2:$A$5,$A$2:
    $A$5,0))),ROW($A$2:$A$5)-ROW($A$2)+1))

    To sum units...

    G2, copied down:

    =SUMIF($B$2:$B$5,E2,$C$2:$C$5)

    Hope this helps!

  10. #10
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: Counting unique entries based on given condition

    Hey, Domenic

    Re:
    =COUNT(1/FREQUENCY(IF($B$2:$B$5=E2,IF($A$2:$A$5<>"",MATCH($A$2:$A$5,$A$2:$A$5,0))),ROW($A$2:$A$5)-ROW($A$2)+1))

    After looking at THAT formula....I don't know what in world drove me to use
    the clunky approach I used!

    Nice work.
    Best Regards,
    Ron