Fill Data from Database

  1. #1

    Fill Data from Database

    Hello ---

    I am an intern at a company this summer, trying to create an excel
    spreadsheet that would access information from a database (or even
    another excel spreadsheet) once I enter one piece of information...
    Example: Completing an internal order form -- if I enter the company
    name, can Excel load the information of the company, including rates
    for products, like advertising spots?)

    Derek

  2. #2
    Forum Expert mrice's Avatar
    Surrey, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013
    Posts
    4,967

    Response

    If you link a macro to the change event of the cell of box that you are filling with the company name, you should be able to do what you want.
    Martin

  3. #3

    Re: Fill Data from Database

    Could you possibly elaborate as to how to do that?

    Derek

  4. #4

    Re: Fill Data from Database

    You can use traditional index, offsets, or vlookups if the data is in
    another Excel worksheet. If there is a dataset from a database that I
    want to do a lot of calculations on what I usually do is setup a new
    tab that brings in the database data using the Data > Import External
    Data menu item.