Auto-numbering in exel (like word)

  1. #1
    Thrashman
    Guest

    Auto-numbering in exel (like word)

    I need to do autonumbering in exel, in much the same way word will do it
    already.
    In word, you can specifiy 'outline numbering'
    then if you had the lines:
    1 Frank
    1.1 John
    1.2 Sally
    and inserted a line above '1.2 Sally' - you'd get
    1.1 John
    1.2 (blank)
    1.3 Sally
    I need to do this but in excel to use it for a work breakdown structure (WBS)
    which I will then put into MS Project (Yes, I know Project will do WBS
    numbering for me but I can't buy 75 copies of MS Project for my task
    leaders).
    I'm planning on writing a set of VBA macros which will take control when a
    row is inserted or deleted, and put in the numbering for me - plus some
    increase/descrease code' but perhaps someone has already done this.

    This all works in MS Word - in fact, I have it linked so that if they do
    something in a word file, it shows up in the exel file but this is too
    complicated for general use as I must also do other calculations in other
    parts of the new lines.

    any thoughts appreciated.

  2. #2
    Thrashman
    Guest

    RE: Auto-numbering in exel (like word)

    I've written software to do this (it is basically a Work Breakdown Structure
    (WBS) manager) in case anyone is interested. It look quite a bit of VBA code
    as it also manages protection of certain columns, verifies the structure,
    does a lot of other housekeeping - is it basically a MS Project Light.

  3. #3
    Prop
    Guest

    Re: Auto-numbering in exel (like word)

    Hi this sounds interesting any chance of seeing the code or an example.

    Paul

  4. #4
    Thrashman
    Guest

    RE: Auto-numbering in exel (like word)

    Well, it's 800 lines of VBA code - but it does a lot of things unique for my
    needs.
    It manages protection of the sheet, has a 'user' mode and an 'admin' mode,
    it allows an admin to make some lines protected so a user can't change a
    baseline WBS but can add more detail lines to already baselined rows.
    It also manages durations, start, end dates, skipping holidays and weekends
    in the date calculations, and a lot of other things.

    If you're just interested in a simple capability - which has just the
    autonumbering etc I could strip that out and post it or give it to you.

    If you're interested, repost or send me a note - and we can collaborate a
    bit via a sharepoint site or something.