How can I have Excel cells populate a Word label template?

  1. #1
    MS Questionnairess
    Guest

    How can I have Excel cells populate a Word label template?

    I have an Excel worksheet that I'm using to create a continuous file
    inventory list and a self-created Word .doc for labels (four labels per page).

    Let us say that on the Excel spreadsheet columns A, B and C contain the file
    name components (i.e. A='regional code', B='type code', C='sequential
    number') and row 1 would therefore, say, appear as 'US' 'Report' '1', row 2
    would appear as 'CANADA' 'Letter' '1', etc.

    I have a template label in my Word document that is 4 -labels-per-page. An
    individual label would require the information found on each row under
    columns A, B and C in one area, information from columns 'D' (= 'file subject
    title') and 'E' (=file contents) in another area, etc.

    The first label on the page would have 'US Report 1' in the file name area,
    the second label would have 'CANADA Letter 1' and subsequent labels would
    have information from rows 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.

    I'm not sure how to link the Excel source information, however, to create an
    automatically-generated label from my Word document in an efficient manner
    since the original Excel list will (eventually) contain hundreds of rows and
    is contantly being added to.

    Another problem for me to figure out is how to make sure that each of the
    three subsequent labels on the four-label-per-page template is populated with
    the same kind of column information as the first one and how to automatically
    create a new four-label-a-page page once the first four labels are generated
    so that I'm not constantly trying to remember to print out the labels once
    four are populated.

    Perhaps I'm asking for the world?

    Any tips or direction would be greatly appreciated :-)

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How can I have Excel cells populate a Word label template?

    I don't know if that's possible, but Word MVP Cindy Meister has merging
    information that may help you:

    http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MergFram.htm

    There's also a Word Mail Merge newsgroup where you could post your
    question, and someone there may be able to help.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures