formula displayed, not calculated

  1. #1
    Sander
    Guest

    formula displayed, not calculated

    Hi,

    I'm working on a sheet with a couple of others and something happened in
    such away that formulas I enter are not calculated but displayed as formulas.

    So formulas allready there are calculated but new ones are not. I've tried
    CTRL + `
    but no luck with that.

    I've the basis =C1 to point to the value C1 and let it show up. On some
    sheets this works, on others it doesn't. Also on the sheet where this works,
    I cannot get a value from another sheet.

    Any ideas??

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: formula displayed, not calculated

    You probably have the cells formatted as text, so what might appear to
    be =C1 is actually "=C1". You need to format the cells as general, and
    then double-click (as if you are editting) or press F2 to get Excel to
    recognise the new format.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Sander
    Guest

    Re: formula displayed, not calculated

    Thanx, that worked. I should have found that myself, ashamed)

  4. #4

    Re: formula displayed, not calculated

    Excel likes to help.

    Try this on a test worksheet.
    Select A1 and hit ctrl-; (to put the date in the cell)
    now select B1 and type: =a1

    Notice that excel changed the format of B1 to match the format in A1.

    Now format D1 as Text.
    put ASDF in D1
    put =D1 in E1
    You see ASDF.

    With E1 selected, hit the F2 key and then enter (to pretend that you're changing
    the formula).

    Excel has "helped" you by changing that cell's format to text.

    I don't know of any way of changing this behavior.

    I just select the cell, and reformat it to General (or whatever I wanted). I
    hit F2 and then enter (to reenter that formula).

    Sometimes this feature is nice, sometimes it ain't.

  5. #5
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: formula displayed, not calculated

    Thanks for feeding back, glad it worked for you.

    Pete