Trying to do too much?

  1. #1
    Mike L.
    Guest

    Trying to do too much?

    I have a column (well, multiple columns, but I can copy the formula
    from column to column) that is an age group/class (baseball
    tournaments). Then, then 4 rows of top teams in the tournament, then
    the amount of teams in the tournament. The next cell starts a new
    tournament (with 4 top teams, then the amount of teams)

    So it's like;
    New York
    LA
    Chicago
    Memphis
    14
    LA
    Montreal
    Chicago
    Austin
    22

    What I need to give each city a value based on their place and the
    amount of teams in the tournament.

    It is;
    <7; 1st=2, 2nd=1, 3rd=.5
    8-13: 1st=4, 2nd=2, 3rd=1, 4th=.5
    >14; 1st=6, 2nd=4, 3rd=2, 4th=1

    Is there a way to do this? Would I have to make a column that assigns
    values of cells depending on the amount of teams? I'm kind of lost, if
    anyone can gimme an idea of where to go, I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Trying to do too much?

    One way:
    =IF(MOD(ROW(),5)=0,"",VLOOKUP(OFFSET(A1,5-MOD(ROW(),5),0),Points!$A$2:$E$4,MOD(ROW(),5)+1,1))

    Beware: it's all based on row number: firts team name MUST be on row 1

    It uses a lookup table in sheet Points

    See example: http://cjoint.com/?ghsAPWpzcH

    AP

    [email protected]...

  3. #3
    Mike L.
    Guest

    Re: Trying to do too much?

    Thanks, that's almost exactly what I want to do, how would I then have
    a group of cells at the bottom (or wherever), that have a running total
    how many points each team has gotten? We may have up to 25 different
    teams in the top four, then 15 age divisions. Is there a way to
    automatically generate a list of teams that have placed, then display
    how many points each of these teams has accumulated (this would be the
    number generated by the aforementioned formula),

    But, wow, that works quite well. Thanks a lot!

  4. #4
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Trying to do too much?

    Please post some sample data, so I can figure out what you have, and what
    you want.

    You can upload your workbook on http://cjoint.com/ and post back the link.
    (the site is in french, but it's pretty esy to use)

    Cheers,

  5. #5
    Mike L.
    Guest

    Re: Trying to do too much?

    http://cjoint.com/data/giuMn4ocIU.htm

    Like I said, what I need is a list of teams (at the bottom, or
    whatever) for each Age/Division (Each column can be completely seperate
    for all intents and purposes) with the given point structure. Although
    the amount of teams in each tournament will be the 5th cell in the
    column, which will decide how many points each team gets, I don't have
    the data yet.

  6. #6
    Mike L.
    Guest