Time Sheet Function to Calculate

  1. #1
    Mark McDonough
    Guest

    Time Sheet Function to Calculate

    I am having some trouble trying to establish a formula that will give me the
    number of hours worked during the day given the start time say 8.30am with
    an end time of 5.30pm and say 30 minutes for lunch. For this scenario, total
    working hours would be eight and a half hours but I need Excel to display
    this result as 8.30 hours (0.30 being the minutes in the half hour) and not
    8.50. Can someone suggest what to do?

    Typically the layout would be

    Column A - Start Time say 8.30am
    Column B - Time in minutes spent at lunch say 30 minutes
    Column C - End Time say 5.30pm.
    Column D - the calculating of the hours and minutes with a result of 8.30
    representing 8hours and 30 minutes as against eight and a half hours (8.50).

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Use this formula for column D.

    =C1-A1-B1/60/24

    C1-A1 gives you the time difference between the start time and end time. We then subtract the lunch break time, expressed as a fraction of a day.

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Time Sheet Function to Calculate

    You asked this question two days ago, and I responded. What is wrong with
    that suggestion

    =end_time-start_time-time(0,30,0)

    and format as time.

    If you want it as 8.3

    =INT((end_time-start_time-TIME(0,30,0))*24)+MOD((end_time-start_time-TIME(0,
    30,0))*24,1)*0.6

    formatted as general

    Bob Phillips

    "Mark McDonough" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am having some trouble trying to establish a formula that will give me

    the
    > number of hours worked during the day given the start time say 8.30am with
    > an end time of 5.30pm and say 30 minutes for lunch. For this scenario,

    total
    > working hours would be eight and a half hours but I need Excel to display
    > this result as 8.30 hours (0.30 being the minutes in the half hour) and

    not
    > 8.50. Can someone suggest what to do?
    >
    > Typically the layout would be
    >
    > Column A - Start Time say 8.30am
    > Column B - Time in minutes spent at lunch say 30 minutes
    > Column C - End Time say 5.30pm.
    > Column D - the calculating of the hours and minutes with a result of 8.30
    > representing 8hours and 30 minutes as against eight and a half hours

    (8.50).

    > Thanks.

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =----

  4. #4
    Mark McDonough
    Guest

    Re: Time Sheet Function to Calculate

    I couldn't get it to work:

    Isn't there an easier solution? There appears to be the use of range names
    which I don't have and am not sure what range should be selected. Is the
    range to be for all five days of the week only or to include the row of
    labels at the top or just the cell on the one line.

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Time Sheet Function to Calculate

    There are no range names, I just used logical references as I don't know the
    real ones. Substitute those with the cell references.

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =----

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Time Sheet Function to Calculate

    >Isn't there an easier solution?

    Yes.

    >> =end_time-start_time-time(0,30,0)

    It's as easy as can be if you use conventional time notations like 8:30
    instead of hacking it to be 8.30.

    Biff