Having macro convert text to numbers

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Happyville, USA
    MS-Off Ver

    Having macro convert text to numbers

    Hi,

    I have a sheet of several thousand rows and about 25 columns. When I export the data into excel there are many numbers that come through as text with the little green triangle in the upper left hand corner. In the past I would just manually change them by highlighting the cells in questions and hitting the pop up box that let me convert the text to numbers. When I record that step of manually converting the text in the macro recorder nothing happens. Does anyone know how I can have macros convert this data for me?

    Thanks as always,

    Eddie

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Having macro convert text to numbers

    In an un-used cell enter 1 and copy it.

    Then select all the cells you want to convert (or all the cells) and
    paste/special with the multiply button checked.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Having macro convert text to numbers

    GS and punter

    Save a couple steps by copying a blank cell and Paste Special>Add

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Happyville, USA