Why does Excel not recognize email address?

  1. #1
    Pat
    Guest

    Why does Excel not recognize email address?

    when I type an email address it should be recognized, but about 1/3 of the
    time it does and the rest it does not. If it does not and I right click on
    the cell "hyperlink" is greyed out. Any suggestions to solving this problem?

  2. #2
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Why does Excel not recognize email address?

    Try selecting "AutoCorrect Options" from the TOOLS Menu. Then select the
    "AutoFormat As You Type" tab. Check the box called "Internet and network
    paths with hyperlinks".

    HTH,
    Elkar

  3. #3
    Pat
    Guest

    RE: Why does Excel not recognize email address?

    I checked the "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks" was already checked.
    This is driving me nuts, because the sheets I am preparing need these as
    hyperlinks and I can find no way to fix it.

  4. #4
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: Why does Excel not recognize email address?

    Try typing mailto: in front of one of the entries that hasn't converted to a
    hyperlink format and let us know if it remains text or changes to a link.
    That will clue us in on how to fix this. For example if you have
    [email protected]
    change it to
    mailto:[email protected]
    no spaces anywhere in there.

    Also choose one of the non-linking entries and choose Format | Cells and see
    what specific format is assigned to it - let us know.

  5. #5
    Pat
    Guest

    RE: Why does Excel not recognize email address?

    Tried the mailto:..... and no soap, doesn't work. The ones that do work and
    the ones that don't work are all formated the same as "General". I tried the
    Mailto:[email protected] on several of the addresses.

  6. #6
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: Why does Excel not recognize email address?

    I don't have the answer for what's causing the problem, but I have what I
    would consider as a work-around solution. The following code will convert
    entries in a column of email addresses (I'm assuming they are in a column,
    not a row) to email links if they don't already contain a hyperlink. While
    it's doing that, if you have some typed in and displaying as
    mailto:[email protected] it will remove the "mailto:" from the displayed text.
    Only change you should have to make to the code is where it starts and finds
    end of used range and shows ("A65535") - change the A to whatever column your
    email addresses are in.

    Then go to the sheet, select all of the cells in the column that you want to
    revise and while they are selected, run the macro (Tools | Macro | Macros and
    choose it and run it). Here's the code needed to be dropped into a code
    module. Not optimized or pretty, but works for me here.

    Sub MakeEmailLinks()
    'you must have selected the cells to add link to before
    'calling this code
    Dim EmailAddress As String

    'change the column letter to match the one with
    'your email address list in it
    Range("A65535").End(xlUp).Select

    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Activate
    On Error Resume Next
    Do While ActiveCell.Row <> 1
    ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Activate
    EmailAddress = ActiveCell.Hyperlinks(1).Address
    If Err = 0 Then
    'already has hyperlink, do nothing
    Else
    Err.Clear
    'does not have hyperlink, make one
    'if the cell is not empty
    If Not (IsEmpty(ActiveCell)) Then
    'handle the ones where "mailto:"
    'shows up in the text of the cell
    If InStr(LCase(ActiveCell.Text), "mailto:") Then
    ActiveCell.Value = _
    Right(ActiveCell.Text, _
    Len(ActiveCell.Text) - 7)
    End If
    'create the hyperlink
    ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add _
    Anchor:=ActiveCell, _
    Address:="mailto:" & ActiveCell.Text
    Loop
    On Error GoTo 0

    End Sub

  7. #7
    Hot Springs, SD
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: Why does Excel not recognize email address?

    I have the same problem but I don't have Tools on my toolbar, where do I find this

  8. #8
    Forum Expert shg's Avatar
    The Great State of Texas
    MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2010
    Posts
    40,678

    Re: Why does Excel not recognize email address?

    Diana,

    Please take a few minutes to read the forum rules, then start your own thread.
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate