elucidating grouped headings in pivot table

  1. #1
    Martin
    Guest

    elucidating grouped headings in pivot table

    Hi - my pivot table groups rows like this (i.e. only showing the name Jones
    for one of the two rows for this name):

    Name City
    Smith London
    Jones Edinburgh
    (blank)
    Clarke Paris

    I'd like the names column to be more explicit, i.e. what I'd like to see (to
    be able to use Excel's database/list functions) is:

    Name City
    Smith London
    Jones Edinburgh
    Jones (blank)
    Clarke Paris

    Any ideas?

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Re: elucidating grouped headings in pivot table

    Pivot tables don't work like that.

    You could convert the pivottable to values
    (select the cells|copy|paste special|values)

    And use the techniques shown at Debra Dalgleish's site to fill the cells.

    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html