Combination text & numbers - use what format for pivot

  1. #1
    Amy
    Guest

    Combination text & numbers - use what format for pivot

    I have a column of item numbers that have both text and numbers and are from
    two different sources. I need to match the item# from both sources and found
    that in a pivot table, many of the identitcal numbers are not recognized as
    being the same item#. I tried formatting them as General or Number, or Text,
    but this did not work. Any suggestions how to make all item#s recognized as
    having the same format in order to be matched?

    Thanks!
    Amy

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    in a dummy column put =value(A1) then whether 3.57 is number or text, it will be a value.

  3. #3
    Amy
    Guest

    Re: Combination text & numbers - use what format for pivot

    Thanks Robert. That didn't quite work. It works if the data were all numbers.
    But, when it comes upon an item # that has both letters and numbers, I get
    #VALUE!. Any other suggestions?