Cascading Dynamic Dropdown Lists

  1. #1
    choop
    Guest

    Cascading Dynamic Dropdown Lists

    I have a file with 3000 lines and 4 columns:

    1) Kingdom
    2) Phylum
    3) Class
    4) Order

    As you can imagine, all of the "order" entries are unique, as well as
    every line in the file.

    How can I create a cascading dropdown in excel that will allow me to
    choose my Kingdom, then have the next dropdown automatically
    pre-populate with the appropriate phlyum. Then class will prepopulate,
    and then obviously order...

    I want to make it simple for a person to make selections from the
    shortest possible list.

    I was going to do this with named lists and the indirect function, but
    there would literally be over one hundred named lists. Is there any
    other way to do this?

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Re: Cascading Dynamic Dropdown Lists

    You may want to look at Data|Autofilter. It works like what you describe.

    Debra Dalgleish has some notes:
    http://contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html

  3. #3

    Re: Cascading Dynamic Dropdown Lists

    That should be:
    data|Filter|autofilter.

  4. #4
    choop
    Guest

    Re: Cascading Dynamic Dropdown Lists

    This will not solve my problem, (my fault for not putting in a good
    enough description :-p )

    I have 2 Sheets:

    Sheet 1: List that I previously described
    Sheet 2: A list with a couple of hundred lines with the following
    columns:

    A) Species (ALREADY POPULATED)
    B) Kingdom (NOT POPULATED)
    C) Phylum (NOT POPULATED)
    D) Class (NOT POPULATED)
    E) Order (NOT POPULATED)

    For columsn B-E I want to have a drop down in each, that is
    predetermined by the column to the left of it. (the column B dropdown
    will just have the 5 kindoms)

    Hopefully this makes my question a little clearer.

    Thanks!

  5. #5

    Re: Cascading Dynamic Dropdown Lists

    Debra Dalgleish shows how to use a dependent list with Data|Validation.