ddm enable/disable: Object doesn't support this property, my a** it doesn't

  1. #1
    Rhode Island

    Question ddm enable/disable: Object doesn't support this property, my a** it doesn't

    I have a series of blocks of code that enable/disable radio buttons and drop down menus. But when I run it, most times (but not ALL times) I get the "object doesn't support this property of method" error pointing to the ".enabled = FALSE" line. I know it soemtimes works as I can see the affect of the disable/enable call. BUT it usually bombs.

    Any idea from anyone as to why this would fail to execute at times??? Would it fail if it is already set to FALSE and I am trying to set it to FALSE? If so, how would I add a conditional to check first (my attempt at that bombed too, but perhaps for syntax reasons).

    TIA WD

    Here are a couple examples of the code:

    1.
    Sheets("Edit Usage").Shapes("Drop Down 31").Select
    With Selection
    .Enabled = True
    End With

    2.
    Sheets("Edit Usage").Shapes("Drop Down 1").Select
    With Selection
    .Enabled = False
    End With

  2. #2

    Re: ddm enable/disable: Object doesn't support this property, my a** itdoesn't

    I think I'd just use the DropDowns collection:

    sheets("edit usage").dropdowns("drop down 31").enabled = true 'false

  3. #3
    Rhode Island

    well ...

    I first tried just replacing the "shapes" with "dropdowns" and got the same error message. Then I got rid of the "select" and "with selection" statements, and that worked. I guess it had something to do with the selection (didn't like that part anyway)

    I also followed your lead and replaced "shapes" with "optionbuttons" (also worked).

    Dave rules.

    Thanks (again)

    WD

    p.s. seriously ... is there anything I can do to pay back the board for all the help I have received? Should I answer some easy ones now and then or does that not matter? I live by "Fairly Take and Fairly Give".

  4. #4

    Re: ddm enable/disable: Object doesn't support this property, my a** itdoesn't

    When you see a post that you want to answer, answer it.

    Or even hold a door open for someone <bg>.