AAAARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh Formulas

  1. #1
    sarahlbdarling
    Guest

    AAAARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh Formulas

    I have a worksheet of information I am trying to analyse using formulas. I am
    able to count the number of specific occurances of a word eg British but I
    cannot link this count formula to condition the result from another column to
    give a count of British females!

    It is driving me mad as I have now gone through every help file and tried
    everything!

    The data is in columns, column A = gender, Column B = nationality, rows 2
    -270.

    all help gratfully appreciated

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Bristol, UK
    MS-Off Ver

    One option is, in another column enter the following formula:

    =IF(AND(A1="Female",B1="British"),True,False)

    Then (and let's say we put the above formula in C), put the following wherever you're displaying your British Females (ooh-er!!):

    =COUNTIF(C1:270, True)

    That should do it.

    SamuelT
    Last edited by SamuelT; 06-16-2006 at 07:03 AM.

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: AAAARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh Formulas

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A270="British"),--(B2:B270="female"))

    Vaya on Dios,

    Chuck, CABGx3

  4. #4
    sarahlbdarling
    Guest

    Re: AAAARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh Formulas

    Thanks Samuel,

    Only slight problem with your suggestion is that we have 270 rows of data,
    either male or female which is fine but there are then 43 different
    nationalities so would not really solve the problem and we would end up with
    pages of true/false columns!

    thanks though!

  5. #5
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: AAAARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh Formulas

    Sarah,

    The simple answer is: Don't use formulas.

    Use a Pivot table - look in help for more.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...