Outlining - collapse rows based on repeated column value

  1. #1
    Beebe
    Guest

    Outlining - collapse rows based on repeated column value

    I would like to be able to collapse all detail sales transaction rows by
    value in right most product code column. I have sorted detail sales
    transactions by product code column. If I have 1000 transactions for 20
    products, I would like to collapse to 20 rows based on the unique product
    code value in the right most column.

    When I use Grouping & Outlining, Excel collapses the entire table to 1 row.
    thanks for any guidance

  2. #2

    Re: Outlining - collapse rows based on repeated column value

    Another way to get those outlining symbols is to use Data|Subtotals.

    You can choose to count/sum/... some of the fields if you want.

  3. #3
    T Kirtley
    Guest

    RE: Outlining - collapse rows based on repeated column value

    The Advanced Filter feature (under the Data / Filter menu branch) shoud work
    for you. For the List Range only select the column that has the 20 unique
    values, choose to filter the list in-place and check the 'Unique records
    only' option.

    This will filter the list, hiding rows that have duplicate values, (and they
    can be un-hidden later if needed). You can also select to output the filtered
    range to another location if you choose.

    This will only filter the data, and will not give any summary statistics. If
    you want to summarize the data, say, with a record count for each value, you
    should use the Subtotals approach that Dave suggested.

    HTH,

    TK

  4. #4
    Beebe
    Guest

    Re: Outlining - collapse rows based on repeated column value

    Thanks Dave, this would give me what I wanted but it stops the grouping at
    record 14,840 about half way through. There is no blank line. I checked calc
    specs for limits, but limit on iterations is 32K something.

  5. #5

    Re: Outlining - collapse rows based on repeated column value

    Did you select the complete range to do the data|subtotals against?

    If you let excel guess at the range, it may have guessed wrong.

    I'd remove the subtotals and select the complete range and try data|subtotals
    once more.

    I've never seen this problem when I selected the complete range--although with
    lots of rows, it can take a long time to put in those subtotals.