QUESTION REGARDING LOCKING SPREADSHEETS AND PREFORMATTED CELLS

  1. #1
    TLAngelo
    Guest

    QUESTION REGARDING LOCKING SPREADSHEETS AND PREFORMATTED CELLS

    I have a spreadsheet in which I have locked the columns that contain formulas
    so that people who input data to the spreadsheet will not inadvertently type
    over the formulas. The problem I am running into is that when someone
    inserts a new row, the formulas need to carry into the inserted row, is there
    a way to do that?

    My other question is:

    In my spreadsheet, I have preformatted one column to put "Yes" if the
    processing times of 3 identified cells is less than or equal to .75. The
    only problem is that it puts "Yes" in the cells that do not have any data
    input into them yet. Is there a way to have it display "TBD" until someone
    enters data into that row?

  2. #2
    SimonCC
    Guest

    RE: QUESTION REGARDING LOCKING SPREADSHEETS AND PREFORMATTED CELLS

    For question 1, I don't think there's a way to do so easily unless macros is
    involved.

    For question 2, try:
    =IF(OR(A1="",B1="",C1=""),"TBD",IF(SUM(A1:C1)<=.75,"Yes","No"))

    -Simon

  3. #3
    TLAngelo
    Guest

    RE: QUESTION REGARDING LOCKING SPREADSHEETS AND PREFORMATTED CELLS

    Thank you! Your answer to my second question helped. Can you help with the
    macro to automatically formulate the added rows?

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: QUESTION REGARDING LOCKING SPREADSHEETS AND PREFORMATTED CELLS

    David McRithchie has written code to insert rows and copy formulas to the new
    rows.

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrow.htm

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    TLAngelo
    Guest

    Re: QUESTION REGARDING LOCKING SPREADSHEETS AND PREFORMATTED CELLS

    Excellent, thank you! It works wonderfully!!

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: QUESTION REGARDING LOCKING SPREADSHEETS AND PREFORMATTED CELLS

    Thanks for the feedback.

    I'm sure David appreciates the kudos.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP