why does data (such as 8-22) automatically convert to 22 Aug ?

  1. #1
    gbosch
    Guest

    why does data (such as 8-22) automatically convert to 22 Aug ?

    Somehow my computer automatically converts any data with hyphens into dates!
    Can anyone tell me how to remove this default?

  2. #2
    Montreal
    Select the cells, right click and go to "format cell" menu.

    Under the "number" tab, the "text" category will enable you to keep the text as you entered it.

    The default

    :P

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: why does data (such as 8-22) automatically convert to 22 Aug ?

    You cannot remove it as that is how Excel knows it is a date, but you can
    change the cell format to text, or precede it with a single apostrophe '.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: why does data (such as 8-22) automatically convert to 22 Aug ?

    You can circumvent the situation by typing a leading apostrophe, or by
    pre-formatting the cell for TEXT.

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  5. #5
    Montreal
    Sorry, hit the "submit reply button".

    The default is "general", but converts those numbers to date.

    That's it!