File format is invalid

  1. #1

    File format is invalid

    I have a file that I update and save daily. yesterday when I went to open it I got the following message: File Format Not Valid. This pops up in middle of the screen. the only option it gives me is a button that says OK. I have tried to recover an old version of the file using the windows recovery tool but I keep this file on an external drive which it does not recover. Any help with how to get this file back would be greatly appreciated.

    Paul

  2. #2
    DavidAtCaspian
    Guest

    RE: File format is invalid

    I am having this exact same problem. - Did you solve it, or does anyone know
    of a tool anywhere that might work? There is only one file affected. I think
    my siutation my be complicated by the fact that the workbook is password
    protected.
    Thanks

  3. #3
    Dean C
    Guest

    RE: File format is invalid

    I got the same message when I tried to manually open a file saved by
    autorecovery. Autorecovery saved the file as a .xar file, but Excel didn't
    offer to open it when it restarted. I tried renaming the .xar to .xls, but
    that didn't work. I can see the data by opening the file in Word, using the
    Recover Text From Any File conversion, but only the textual data is easily
    recognizable. You may be able to figure out how the data is organized by
    creating a simple Excel file that you then open using Word. It appears that
    each cell value is a paragraph in Word.