Hide/Unhide Option - Need to consider all options!

  1. #1
    Montreal

    Question Hide/Unhide Option - Need to consider all options!

    I have the following problem: I need to set a worksheet so the user can choose to view/print it with or without the cells containing exhaustive explanations. (Those cells are NOT in a single bundle...)

    Is there a way, (say, with a button or another macro), that I could set this worksheet to hide or unhide preselected rows so the user can switch from one view to another in a single simple operation?

    (Any suggestion is welcome: I need all available options.)

    THANKS!

    For those who wants to know the purpose: it is a compliance matrix (checklist-like) with design requirements. The cells that need to be set are the ones containing secondary information regarding each of the requirements. (The "simple" view should allow to shorten the list considerably, without loosing the information.)

  2. #2
    kassie
    Guest

    RE: Hide/Unhide Option - Need to consider all options!

    A macro should do this for you!

    Click on Tools|Macro|Record new macro, call your macro something descriptive
    such as simpleview. Now hide all the rows which you do not want to display.
    when done, click on End recording. Create another macro, call it say
    completeview, select the range containing the hidden rows, click on
    Format|Row and select unhide, then click on end recording. Create two
    buttons, one for the simple view, and one for the complete view, and tie the
    macros to these buttons.

  3. #3
    Montreal
    It sesm to works fine, but there is a problem I cannot solve:

    When recording the macro for the summary view, I hide the rows I want the button to hide, but after I stopped the recording and assigned the macro to the button, when I hit it, lots of rows are hidding which I did not select when recording.

    I tried 3 times: always the same result. What do I do wrong?

  4. #4
    Montreal
    I have another problem with this method: if I change the content of one cell, it simply goes back to the previous version if I use the buttons. What can I do to make sure the data inside the cell doesn't go away?

    (For instance, if I change the content of a cell that gets hidden by the "summary view" button, and then I hit "summary view" and "complete view", the cell is back to how it was when I created the macro, even if I saved after changing the content.)