Double clicking xls doesn't work

  1. #1
    GA
    Guest

    Double clicking xls doesn't work

    Hello,

    If anybody can tell me what the problem is I'd be much obliged.

    My PC has recently stopped opening xls files when double clicked.

    I tried deleting personal.xls and then just got an empty window. I
    could then drag the xls into the window and it would open fine. I then
    re-created a new personal.xls which I hid (attrib wise) and then
    double clicking an xls opened Excel with an empty sheet but once again
    I could drag the xls into Excel and it would open.

    I have run excel.exe /unregserver and then excel.exe /regserver which
    didn't work and then done a full re-install of Office.

    I'm assuming file associations are OK because the double click
    actually runs Excel .

    Anything else I can try please?

  2. #2

    Re: Double clicking xls doesn't work

    Did you try:

    Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

    And are you sure that the workbook isn't opening?

    Window|arrange|Tiled to check.

  3. #3
    GA
    Guest

    Re: Double clicking xls doesn't work

    No Dave but I will first thing in the morning when I get in to work
    Thanks - GA

  4. #4
    GA
    Guest

    Re: Double clicking xls doesn't work

    On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:10:08 -0500, Dave Peterson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip]
    >Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

    [snip]

    That did it - great stuff thanks.

    It's disconcerting when something like this suddenly starts happening
    without any apparent cause but all's well etc. etc.

    GA