Match, Index, Indirect, Offset

  1. #1
    Mark McDonough
    Guest

    Match, Index, Indirect, Offset

    I often see these functions used together and used quite a lot but what
    practical application do they have?

    From reading the help files it is easy to understand the theory of what's
    going on but applying it in practice is something else.

    Sumproduct was a classic case in point here. Going by the help file, we are
    told that sumproduct multiplies corresponding values in arrays and then sums
    the result (yeah but so what). But who would have guessed from this that
    it's application is quite extensive as a filtering tool of a sort.

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Match, Index, Indirect, Offset

    A lot of years ago, one of my teachers used to use the phrase "book smart"
    to describe students who could more or less memorize the text of a paragraph
    or chapter, BUT not really comprehend the meaning and thoughts behind the
    words.

    These functions are exactly like programming languages.
    There might be a hundred different ways to program an event to occur.

    A function does something with the contents of cells.
    As long as you know what it does (what's built into it), how you configure
    the combination of the functions and their returns, is the measure of *YOUR*
    ingenuity to complete an operation.

    As you yourself just brought up, look at what the folks *here* have done to
    the SumProduct() function, over and above what Redmond originally designed
    it to do, as you can see by their very inept Help file on the function.

    You have just paid for the tools when buying XL.
    How well you utilize them is dependant on your talent and resourcefulness
    (to learn from others - such as here).

    RD

    "Mark McDonough" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I often see these functions used together and used quite a lot but what
    > practical application do they have?
    >
    > From reading the help files it is easy to understand the theory of what's
    > going on but applying it in practice is something else.
    >
    > Sumproduct was a classic case in point here. Going by the help file, we

    are
    > told that sumproduct multiplies corresponding values in arrays and then

    sums
    > the result (yeah but so what). But who would have guessed from this that
    > it's application is quite extensive as a filtering tool of a sort.

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =----

  3. #3
    Mika
    Guest

    Re: Match, Index, Indirect, Offset

    Mark not sure what type of reply you are expecting... I only can tell
    you 2 things:

    1. I have more than a dozen programs which core formulas containing
    combinations of index, match, etc... So it depends of what you are
    doing....

    2. I wondered couple of years ago why to use the rank function.... last
    week it came handy. Bottom line, probably there are many functions you
    don't use (you don't have to !!) if you don't need them

    Mika