formatting cell number based on previous cell number

  1. #1
    Pasquini
    Guest

    formatting cell number based on previous cell number

    I would like to format a cell to turn red and bold, when it is a number other
    than the previous cell. And, I would like it to stay black when it is the
    same number as the previous cell.

    Ex.

    A1=30 (Red & Bold)
    A2=30 (Black)
    A3=45 (Red & Bold)
    A4=45 (Black)
    A5=45 (Black)
    etc.

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: formatting cell number based on previous cell number

    You can do this with conditional formatting.
    Select cell A2, then Format > Conditional Formatting. Use the drop-down and
    text box to make your condition 'Formula Is' '=(A2=A1)', then select the
    format you want (red bold text) and click OK. Then use the format painter to
    copy the format from A2 to other cells in the column.

  3. #3
    Pasquini
    Guest

    RE: formatting cell number based on previous cell number

    Thank you for your extremely quick response. Your solution worked to a
    degree...I would like if format the opposite way. With your wonderful
    suggestion it currently does:

    A1=30 (black)
    A2=30 (red/bold)
    A3=45(black)
    A4=45(red/bold)
    A5=45(red/bold)

    Is there a way to say '=(A2NOTEQUALA1)' as opposed to '=(A2=A1)'?

  4. #4
    Pasquini
    Guest

    RE: formatting cell number based on previous cell number

    Ok, so with a little bit more research I found that '=NOT' was the answer I
    was looking for. So the formula should read '=NOT(A2=A1)' to acheive the
    desired results. Thank you so much for your help, I was really stumped
    before you lead me in the right direction!