File associate setting in Excel

  1. #1
    jim28
    Guest

    File associate setting in Excel

    I found a very strange instance.

    When I double click a excel file, for example form the path
    "D:\Profiles\jimmyl\My Documents\05. ABC.xls"

    Excel with Open the file "D:\Profiles\jimmyl\My" first and result in file
    not found, and then open "Documents\05." and result in file not found, and
    then
    open the file "ABC.xls" and result in file not found. At last it will open
    the file. How come windows treat the space as a space and separate the
    opening of a single file?

    I found that it may be related to the Windows Explorer file associate
    setting. The following setting is found.
    Action - &Open
    Application used to perform action - "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e %1
    Use DDE
    DDE Message - [open("%1")]
    Application - EXCEL
    Topic - System

    Any ideas to fix this problem? And I try to delete the "%1" after /e but it
    fail, why? Any can help?

    Regards,
    Jim28

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: File associate setting in Excel

    Jim

    In Excel try Tools>Options>General>Ignore other applications (un-checked)

    If this fails, go to start>run... in Windows and enter excel.exe \regserver
    (You may need to enter the full path of Excel exe)

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    jim28
    Guest

    Re: File associate setting in Excel

    I have try both option, but didn't work. Thanks.

  4. #4

    Re: File associate setting in Excel

    Some people have posted that when they unregister excel, it gets fixed.

    This is my standard answer:

    Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
    the file in windows explorer:

    Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

    --- or ---

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver