Retain Numbers as Text Format When Importing.

  1. #1
    xardoz
    Guest

    Retain Numbers as Text Format When Importing.

    I must import a text file. It contains numbers of varying formats. They
    could include a colon and a period or just a colon... zeros at beginning and
    end, etc.

    I want to retain the format of the varying numbers WHEN IMPORTING a pipe
    delimited text file.

    How do I force Excel to import all data in the text file as TEXT. Simply
    selecting format "Text" for the entire worksheet (before importing) does not
    do it - that selection is overwritten.

    Please test your resolution before answering.

  2. #2
    xardoz
    Guest

    RE: Retain Numbers as Text Format When Importing.

    Resolved. Select Text for the column when importing instead of assigning
    format "Text" to the entire worksheet.

  3. #3
    tim m
    Guest

    RE: Retain Numbers as Text Format When Importing.

    The last step before 'finish' in the import wizard has an area top, right
    that says column data format and allows you to force columns to be imported
    as text.