Find Dialog Box

  1. #1
    Elaine
    Guest

    Find Dialog Box

    How do I change the defaults on the Find dialog box? I want the defaults to
    be search by columns and values.
    --
    Thank you... Elaine

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    London
    Click the "options" button and all the extra search parameters will be displayed

    HTH

    Martin
    Martin Short

  3. #3
    Elaine
    Guest

    Re: Find Dialog Box

    Hello Martin,

    The options button will keep the changes until you exit the program. How do
    you keep the Search by "Columns", Look in "Values" as permanent defaults? I'm
    using Excel 2000.
    --
    Thank you... Elaine

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    London
    A lot more difficult I'm afraid as Excel's standard user interface isn't that customisable.

    It would be possible to record/write a macro to do what you want and set up a button on your toolbar to access it. You might need to tweak it though with a custom form listing the inputs you want, but yes it can be done.

    Are you able to record macros?

    Martin

  5. #5

    Re: Find Dialog Box

    Saved from a previous post:

    Excel tries to help by remembering the last settings you used--except for the
    first search in that session.

    You can use that to your advantage.

    You could make a dummy workbook and put it in your xlStart folder. Have a
    macro in that workbook that does a find (and sets all the stuff the way you
    like). Then closes and gets out of the way.

    Option Explicit
    Sub auto_open()

    Worksheets("sheet1").Cells.Find What:="", After:=ActiveCell, _
    LookIn:=xlValues, _
    LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, _
    SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False

    ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False

    End Sub

    The workbook opens, does a find (to fix your settings) and then closes to get
    out of the way.

    But if you do an Edit|Find and change anything, then those changed settings will
    be remembered.

  6. #6
    Elaine
    Guest

    Re: Find Dialog Box

    Thank you Dave & Martin for your continued support.

    Elaine